Saturday, June 28, 2008

In Memory of Dad Bodine

Michelle and I met 20 years ago. The first day we met she got me a ride home from field hockey practice and a job. I knew then that this was someone I wanted to be friends with. But our friendship has been so much more than I could have expected. It has always extended beyond the two of us to our families. We have shared our brothers, my sister, our in-laws, and our parents. Janet and Ken have always been Mom and Dad Bodine to me. A second set of parents that I knew I could always count on. I have no elaborate stories to tell but I would like to share with you my favorite memories of Dad Bodine.

He was always gentle with his African Grey parrot Gabby, and loved his dogs Winnie, Marco, and Maggie.
He always laughed at Michelle and I when we got silly.
He took our pictures on prom day and pretended to be a photographer asking us to do twirls in our prom dresses.
He bought me a 4” gold Elvis Christmas tree ornament when I was about seventeen and it still has a place of honor on my tree each year.
And my favorite memory, is the day Michelle was supposed to pick me up from my job at the Dry cleaners. She sent her Dad instead, and he showed up on his Motorcycle, looking all bad, he handed me a helmet and said “let’s go motorcycle mama”.
This is my favorite memory because for me it captures the essence of his spirit. His quiet good natured desire to be himself and enjoy the little things. I will miss all the little things that came from Dad Bodine’s big heart.

No comments: